Icarus LSF – Leeds Student Accommodation
Project - Leeds Student Accommodation
Sector - Education
Architect - Icarus LS
Technology - Steel
Icarus LSF partnered with Ashcourt Contracts to design, manufacture and install 6000m2 of load-bearing light steel framing to create 187 units of student accommodation over 9-storeys in the centre of Leeds. Off-site manufactured light steel wall panels (with factory installed weather defence board) and floor cassettes (with factory installed steel decking) were erected on site to create the building in just 16-weeks – 14-weeks ahead of the original 30-week target installation programme. The project demonstrated that by employing modern methods of construction alongside the incredible material properties of light gauge steel, speed of construction could be vastly improved without sacrifice to health and safety or quality.
- 3-month design-for-manufacture process to create 3D building models ready for roll-forming and assembly.
- Roll-forming and panel/cassette assembly ran in parallel to site erection.
- Weather defence boarding pre-installed to all external wall panels to reduce time and cost on site.
- Lewis decking pre-installed to all floor cassettes to reduce time and cost on site.
- Bathroom pods installed by Icarus LSF alongside erection of LSF.
- Icarus integrated Edge-Protection System used to remove the need for scaffolding.
- 16-week installation period enabling rapid completion of the scheme.
- Follow-on trades able to rapidly progress due to weather-tight nature of the build.
< BACK TO ALL PROJECTS